After careful consideration, the Mount Marathon Race Committee has postponed the 93rd running from July 4, 2020, to a date to be determined.
Using information from health and government officials about the outlook for holding large events amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the race committee will announce by June 1, 2020, whether to re-schedule for Sunday, September 6, 2020 (Labor Day weekend) or to postpone until July 4, 2021.
This postponement, done foremost to protect the public’s health, is a great disappointment. However, it is in the best interests of the racers, the City of Seward, and the event’s volunteers, officials, spectators and sponsors. Postponement is necessary given the statewide restrictions on nonessential travel and group gatherings. Also, racers would soon have begun training in Seward in increasingly large numbers.
Additionally, participants deserve adequate notice for 4th of July planning purposes including travel and lodging. Organizers also need assurance the race is feasible before spending the effort and funds required to conduct an event of Mount Marathon’s logistical scope.
Meanwhile, the 4th of July Festival organized by the Seward Chamber of Commerce is still tentatively scheduled to proceed. On June 1, the Chamber will decide whether to continue to plan, postpone or cancel the 4th of July festivities.
The Mount Marathon Race roster will be announced April 15, 2020. Roster spots will be guaranteed for whenever the 93rd running is held. Once a new race date is scheduled, revised entry policies including deferrals will be outlined.
We appreciate your understanding and look forward to seeing you on the mountain when it is again safe to gather there.
Matias Saari, Mount Marathon Race Director
& the Mount Marathon Race Committee
& the Seward Chamber of Commerce
What we’re doing now:
- The random lottery selection process has been run.
- One-time petitions have been reviewed, and some approved by the Committee.
- The race roster is being finalized, and will be posted to our website on April 15.
- Lottery winners and approved petitioners will receive a PayPal invoice by email for the remaining $65 of their race fees. This must be paid by April 30 to secure your spot in the race.
What we’re doing next:
- Locking in the race roster as posted on April 15th. The listed racers, lottery winners and approved one-time petitioners on that roster will be the next group wearing a Mount Marathon Race bib.
- Monitoring ongoing global events as they relate to a possible September 6 date.
- Announcing by June 1, 2020 if the September 6th date is possible, or whether we will have to postpone until July 4, 2021.
- Announcing bib and wave assignments by June 1, 2020.
What we’re NOT doing:
- We will not be accepting any deferral requests or wave change requests until we have a confirmed race date.
- We’re not issuing registration refunds for any reason, so we are ready and able to pull the race together as quickly as possible.
What YOU need to do now:
- Watch your email for information on the status of your priority registration or lottery application — everyone will be sent a message prior to the April 15 roster posting.
- Whether you get our email or not (check your spam folder!), check the April 15th race roster on this website. If you are listed, you are locked in for the 93rd running of the Mount Marathon Race.
- Lottery winners and approved petitioners must pay the remaining $65 racer fee by April 30 to secure their spot in the race.