Petitioning offers a one-time (one race) opportunity to experience the race. (However, if you place among the top 10 overall, that gains you entry the following year provided you register for the race and complete a One-Time Earned Race Spot Form).
Please note: An approved petition is only valid for the current year and resets the petitioner’s weighted lottery status back to zero for the following race year. If your intent is to gain entry to the race for more than one year, the lottery is your best path to entry.
The petition will ask you to:
- Explain why you want to run the Mount Marathon Race. Special consideration will be extended to those applicants with a connection to Seward and Alaska.
- Explain why you are not trying to gain entry via the auction. In 2022, the auction will occurs on-line prior to July and in-person on July 3. There is no auction for junior racers.
- Establish your credibility as an experienced mountain runner or your mountain skills. Include results of other races.
- Explain how you will complete the entire course prior to the race (if you live outside of Southcentral Alaska).
- Describe your contribution to Seward, Alaska or your local community supporting events, particularly athletic events.
Those who petition for a race entry will first be considered as a lottery applicant. If the petitioner wins the lottery, they are in the race. If the petitioner loses the lottery, their petition will be considered by the race committee.
Unless a petitioner wins the Mount Marathon Race, they may not gain priority status through an approved one-year petition and must return to the lottery pool for the following year’s race.
Petitioners who place among the Top 10 overall will earn another one-year entry the following year (but still must also apply for the lottery).