Her unique design shows the Barrier Islands at the end of Resurrection Bay, which are visible on clear days from Race Point, the top of the Mount Marathon course.
“I went for a sort of Rockwell Kent theme while keeping it simple,” Hicks said.
Hicks, 20, grew up in Northern Utah and discovered Seward upon working a summer job there in 2019. That experience made such an impression that she relocated there a year later.
Seward has become a good fit and she hopes to run her first Mount Marathon in 2022.
“I’ve been creating art for as long as I can remember,” says Hicks, who earned $250 for the winning design. “I painted mostly with oil growing up, but found I don’t have the time for it these days so I’ve switched to gouache, watercolor, and digital art. I love hiking, biking and anything outdoors!”
Registration for the 94th Mount Marathon Race opened at 7 a.m. Tuesday, March 1 and runs through midnight on March 31.
The cost to enter under priority registration remains $85 for adults and $35 for juniors.
The cost to enter the lottery remains $20 for adults and $15 for juniors (lottery winners will be invoiced the balance of the full registration fee in April).
The 2022 roster will be the first using the Top 50 Percent in Age Group Rule, which aims to substantially improve lottery odds and increase the number of lottery spots available.
The 2022 race will again by on July 4 (a Monday this year) for the first time since 2019. The 2020 race was canceled due to the pandemic and the 2021 event was moved to July 7.
Planning for the 2022 race has begun. Although subject to change, current plans include bringing back the live auction on July 3 and the awards ceremony on July 4. Both events will again be held indoors.
Registration for the 2022 Mount Marathon Race begins on March 1.
One of the main criteria for determining whether you need to register as a priority runner or for the lottery is the Top 50 Percent in Age Group Rule, which was adopted by the Mount Marathon Race Committee in early 2020 and is being implemented for 2022 with results from the 2021 race.
These PDF links show who placed in the the Top 50 Percent of their age group in 2021 (note other Priority Registration clauses and exceptions below).
You already have Priority Registration status if you are a:
- Previous overall winner of the men’s or women’s Mount Marathon Race.
- Top 10 age-group finisher from the previous year’s race.
- Skip-A-Year applicant from the previous year.
- 10 year status applicant (finished the race 10 or more times)
- Runner with an approved deferral from previous year.
- Finisher of the junior race the previous year who has aged into the adult race.
- One-year approved petitions are not eligible for priority status even if they finished in the top 50% of their age group.
- Earned race spots are not eligible for priority status even if they finished in the top 50% of their age group.
Mount Marathon Race 2022 Logo Contest
In addition to their logo being used for all MMR 2022 promotional purposes, the winning designer will receive a $250 cash prize!
How to Enter the Contest
- Contest opens February 18, 2022
- Deadline for submissions is 11:59 P.M on Sunday, March 20, 2022
- Winners will be announced in early-April via email, mountmarathon.com, and the Seward Chamber of Commerce’s social media channels
For your entry to be reviewed by our selection committee, it must be:
- Submitted directly to email@example.com
- Submitted in its original source file (a scalable, vector format such as .ai or .eps).
- Submitted as a high resolution .pdf with 300 dpi or higher.
- Theme: To best convey the unique nature of the Mount Marathon Race, the logo design must include a mountain theme.
- Language: The design MUST include the following words or phrases:
- Mount Marathon Race
- 94th Running
- Seward, Alaska
- July 4, July 4th, or Fourth of July AND the year 2022
- Color: The design may include a maximum of four colors. There are no limitations on the specific colors. The logo must look professional in color and black and white.
- Integrity: Logos cannot contain copyrighted material. Logos must have been created and edited by the contestant(s). Logos may not include images or licensed images that have been previously published. Must be easily reproducible and scalable for large and small formatting.
- Previous Winners: http://mmr.seward.com/results/trivia-facts/logo-history/
- One winning logo design will be selected by the Mount Marathon Race Committee.
- Contestants agree that the Seward Chamber of Commerce may publish their logo and name(s) and may use both for future advertising campaigns and/or marketing materials.
- Contestants assign all ownership rights, including all intellectual property rights to the logo, to the Mount Marathon Race and Seward Chamber of Commerce.
- The Mount Marathon Race Committee and Seward Chamber of Commerce may alter, modify or revise the winning logo as necessary for its intended use.
- The Mount Marathon Race Committee reserves the right to not select a winner if, in its sole discretion, no suitable entries are received.
- The winning designer will receive $250!
We’re thrilled to be back for the 93rd running! Please review this final important information.
Get your bib, t-shirt, patch, race bag and other swag! No wave changes are possible.
Tuesday, July 6 — 5-8 p.m. (Race Headquarters, outdoors at corner of 4thand Washington)
Wednesday, July 7 – Race Day! — 7 a.m.-3 p.m. (Race Headquarters, outdoors at corner of 4th and Washington)
RACE START SCHEDULE
JUNIORS — 8:30-8:36 a.m. (one minute between waves)
WOMEN — 11:00-11:10 a.m. (two minutes between waves)
MEN — 3:00-3:12 p.m. (two minutes between waves)
LIVE TIMING & PARTICIPANT TRACKING
Skinny Raven will again have live timing results here:
There is also an option for Participant Tracking:
There will be no formal awards ceremony at AVTEC in 2021 due to long-planned COVID-19 mitigation. However, of course we will still give out awards!
Top 5 Overall Podium Awards — brief ceremony on the GRANDSTAND
Juniors — 9:30 a.m.
Women — 12:30 p.m.
Men — 4:30 p.m.
Can be picked up at Race Headquarters (corner of 4th and Washington)
Juniors and Women’s —2:30-6 p.m.
Men’s — 4:30-6 p.m.Age groups are:
Juniors: 7-11, 12-14, 14-17
Men and Women: 18-29 and 10-Year increments thereafterNEW THIS YEAR: the Downhill Demon Award for the Fastest Split from Race Point to the finish. Will we see a sub-10 this year?!
- No climbing aids (including hiking poles).
- No shoes with metal cleats or Microspikes.
- No identifying markers on the trail to guide runners.
SORRY, NO DOGS!
Your pets are allowed in Seward; please just keep them off the race course or crowded downtown area.
The first junior race in 1964 was dedicated to the memory of Hitt, a Seward High School graduate who a year earlier had fallen to his death in a climbing accident on Mount Alice while training for the Mount Marathon Race.
Sponsored by Resurrection Bay Historical Society, the exhibit in the atrium is free and open to the public from 11 a.m.–8 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and from 1–4:30 p.m. Sunday.